York Castle is a fortified complex that is comprised of a sequence castles, including the prison which has been a site for justice and incarceration for almost 1,000 years and is still a seat of justice today.
Red brick and limestone give this William and Mary country house a timeless appeal.
Its perfect symmetry commands attention and appreciation. Take a step back and take it all in. It was inspired by Sir Christopher Wren’s design for Hampton Court, but Mary Poppins and her carpet bag of tricks wouldn’t look out of place knocking at the front door. The timeless charm of this hall makes that event seem entirely possible, should Ms. Poppins be visiting the city of York, of course.
The maze of gardens that make up the grounds are unique in style; they should be wandered around and nodded at appreciatively. The spoils of the kitchen garden can be seen up close and personal, on your dining plate.
The location of Middlethorpe Hall is nothing short of a delight too. Only a mile from the many attractions of York city centre while overlooking York Racecourse, it’s the place to be on race days
Need to Know
Check-in at 3:00pm
Check-out at 11:30am
Also Worth Knowing
Middlethorpe Hall welcomes families with children over the age of 6 years in the hotel and over the age of 8 years at the Spa between 10am – 11am and 4pm – 5pm, when accompanied by an adult. Children aged 6 years and above are welcome in The Dining Room.
Guest rooms have queen or king-size double bed (which can be twinned), trouser press, Flat screen satellite TV, sofa or two comfortable arm chairs, dressing table with mirror, can be used as a desk, radio alarm clock, hospitality tray with mineral water and homemade biscuits, ensuite bathroom with power shower, luxury towelling bathrobe, complimentary slippers, Molton Brown body toiletries, Wi-Fi access (complimentary and available where the architecture of the Hall allows).
The panelled dining rooms with candlelit tables overlook the magnificent gardens and parkland. Ashley Binder’s superb cuisine at Middlethorpe Hall has won many accolades over the years, and continues to attract connoisseurs of fine food and wine from around the world. A carefully designed ‘Tasting Menu’ with paired wines offers a gourmet experience, while dishes are individually priced on our ‘a la carte’ dinner menu. We also offer a ‘Traditional Menu’ with a superb choice of dishes especially designed with our resident guests in mind. As well as our two dining rooms, there are facilities for private dining which are ideal for private entertaining.
Whilst many gentlemen choose to wear a jacket and tie in the restaurant in the evening it is not obligatory. We welcome gentlemen wearing smart clothes, but trainers, t-shirts, tracksuits, shorts etc are NOT acceptable.
- Lunch is served on Saturday and Sunday from 12.30pm – 1.45pm
- Restaurant is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays
At Middlethorpe Spa there is available a wide range of Health and Beauty treatments for our guests, of all ages. Whether a newcomer to such treatments or already familiar with benefits, they encourage relaxation after the stresses and pace of modern life.
- Monday – Thursday 7:30-9:00pm
- Friday 7:30-8:00pm
- Saturday and Sunday (and Bank Holidays) 8:00-7:30pm
- Between November and March the Spa closes at 8:30pm Monday to Thursday.
The Spa comprises a spacious swimming pool, steam room, sauna, solarium, gym, beauty treatment rooms, and therapy rooms, a relaxation room, and a club room where you can enjoy light refreshments and snacks.
Max Capacity: 58
Cost per night: £13,000
Min cost per person: n/a
From £245 per room per night based on two sharing, includes cooked breakfast and use of Spa
What the Experts Say
“Our stay was absolutely lovely. I loved everything about it: the vibe, the decor, the restaurant and the staff…”
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Bishopthorpe Road, York, Yorkshire, YO23 2GB.
Historic House Hotels for The National Trust
Lionel A Chatard
Offers & Packages
Our Best Deal
Champagne & Spa Break at Middlethorpe Hall
Your break includes:
- A chilled bottle of house Champagne to welcome you on arrival;
- Two-course candlelit dinner in our award-winning restaurant (£48 food allowance per person towards dinner);
- Overnight accommodation in a superior room;
- Full Yorkshire breakfast;
- Complimentary parking;
- Use of the Middlethorpe Spa facilities;
- An 80-minute spa treatment of your choice from the Middlethorpe Spa brochure.
From only £269 per person per night based on two people sharing a superior double or twin room located in the C18th Courtyard (£299 per night for single occupancy).
This very special break is available Sunday to Thursday, subject to availability. We recommend treatment time (and any additional treatments) are booked when the hotel reservation is made to avoid disappointment.
Call now to book
The Middlethorpe Indulgence Retreat
- Arrive mid-afternoon and commence with a relaxation session in the Spa, taking advantage of the swimming pool, steam room, sauna and spa bath;
- Disconnect from the outside world with a 50-minute Aromatherapy Associates Forest Therapy treatment, which will bring the serenity of nature to mind, body and skin, leaving you feeling restored from the stresses of modern-day living, cleansed of pollution and relieved from restlessness and agitation;
- Enjoy a complimentary glass of Pink Champagne on terrace, before a three-course candlelit dinner in the award-winning oak panelled dining room;
- Retire to the comfort of your four-poster bedroom located in the in the historic hall to enjoy one of your best night’s sleep – tucked-in Egyptian cotton bedsheets wool blanket, your head resting on a duck feather and down luxury pillows;
- Wake-up in the countryside and enjoy the views of the parkland, perhaps spotting a wild deer;
- Reinvigorate your body with a swim or a session in the gymnasium;
- Indulge with one of the many options available for breakfast, which will be served in the dining room;
- Join Yoga Teacher and Dance Movement Psychotherapist Dr Allison Singer for a 90 minute mindfulness experience – An opportunity to step-out of your daily routine and take some time for yourself for reflection, relaxation and reconnection. An integration of Yoga, Creativity and Relaxation;
- Terminate your visit with a walk around the 20 acres of manicured gardens and parkland – perhaps a further relaxation and meditation opportunity at the foot of one of the specimen trees.
Prices from £749.00 per night based on double occupancy
This retreat is not available on Saturdays and is subject to availability
Call now to bookMore Details
Take the A64(T) off the A1(T) near Tadcaster, follow signs marked York West, then follow the smaller signs for Bishopthorpe, Middlethorpe and Racecourse.
Manchester International Airport is one hour's drive. Leeds-Bradford Airport is a 45 minute drive.
Attractions Near Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
The York Art Gallery hosts numerous galleries, gardens and a new centre for British Studio Ceramics. With its wide array of art, including an exhibition of famous Yorkshire artists Albert Moore’s work, the York Art Gallery offers a great experience for art lovers.
With a collection containing over 1,000,000 objects from 300 years of railway history, the National Railway Museum is one of the top destinations in the world for train fanatics to visit. Including such famous trains as the world record breaking Mallard, the ‘bullet train’ Shinkasen, and the Duchess of Hamilton, this is not a museum to be missed whilst you are in the Yorkshire area.
Weddings at Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Set in its own beautifully maintained grounds, The National Trust’s Middlethorpe Hall summarises the quintessential country house, offering elegance and romance in an idyllic setting. A perfect backdrop for ceremony and celebration, and a photographer’s dream to create lasting memories of each precious moment of the day.
Need to know
Facilities & Features
The Barlow Room is situated 50 yards from the main house, it has its own cloakrooms, bar and kitchen and has been decorated in an interesting and eclectic style. With air-conditioning, access ramps and disabled facilities it can cater for up to 56 guests. During the summer months the South Terrace is perfect for drink receptions. The Grill Room will then be the ideal venue for the wedding breakfast.
Please call Middlethorpe Hall & Spa for more information.
Middlethorpe and its extensive grounds can be hired exclusively (excluding the Spa) for a day or a weekend of celebrations with the possibility of erecting a marquee on the South Lawn.
If you do require music during the ceremony and wedding breakfast this can be arranged. Please note that dancing and discos are only available for guests that have exclusive use of the Hall.
Middlethorpe Hall is licensed for civil ceremonies.
Planning services are available.
Meetings at Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Day delegate rate: £50 per person (including service and VAT)
24-hour delegate rate: £170 per person (including service and VAT)
Max no. of delegates:
26 (boardroom style)
56 (theatre style)