Where do you let your gaze fall when you approach Armathwaite Hall?
Across the 400-acre deer park? Out at the glass-like waters of Bassenthwaite Lake to the dramatic silhouette of Skiddaw Mountain and Lake District Fells? We‘d recommend all of them. Take them all in, the view is yours.
Enter the house, a masterclass in period design and contemporary luxury. Here you’ll experience Cumbrian hospitality firsthand. As one of the first great stately homes of The Lake District, this house has layers of history.
Perch in the Cocktail Bar or kick back in the spa, learn about the house’s 17th century roots, Bonnie Prince Charlie’s stay, the tea trade in Sri Lanka, how it was bought in its entirety for £5,000, narrowly avoiding demolition and became a safe haven for an evacuated girls’ school during WW2. All this, and so much more, happened right where you’re sitting.
View Armathwaite Hall’s entry in the Good Spa Guide
Re-opening in February, subject to government approval
Need to Know
Also Worth Knowing
Children – Family accommodation includes spacious rooms with extra beds for children, interconnecting rooms offering space and privacy and deluxe family rooms with integral bunk bedded rooms.
Dogs welcome – Dogs are part of the family and are welcome at Armathwaite Hall. Selected bedrooms are available suitable for those bringing their faithful friend. Dogs are accommodated at a cost of £15.00 per dog per night and receive a bed with cushion, dog treats, and waste bags. Please note that dogs are not permitted in the public rooms and must be kept on leads in the surrounding gardens.
The two rosette fine dining Lake View Restaurant serves table d’hôte lunches and dinners in elegant surroundings to both residents and non-resident guests. The Courtyard Bar and Brasserie is a stylish modern alternative serving meals in a relaxed atmosphere. Afternoon teas are served daily and are a great way to celebrate with family and friends.
See at a glance the amazing facilities that Aramthwaite Hall has to offer.
- 16m infinity edge pool overlooking beautiful gardens.
- Wallow pool ideal for those not so confident in water. 1m deep.
- Outdoor hot-tub overlooking beautiful gardens.
- Hydrotherapy pool with hydro jets under side benches, neck shower and mood lighting.
- Aroma room: with heated walls, a cross between a steam room and a tepidarium. Periodic jets of steam and essence provide a relaxing and soothing experience enhanced by the feature lighting and stunning Snow Quartz Crystal. Kneipp hoses to cool down as required.
- Steam room: a traditional and spacious steam room with stunning Amethyst Madonna Crystal Cave and feature lighting centrepiece, essences and Kneipp hoses to cool down and refresh as required.
- Traditional sauna with windows overlooking the decked patio and garden.
- Tropical shower: a hot or cold option with lights and essence for further enjoyment.
- Rain dance shower: a pulsating water sensation to refresh and revive.
- Dance/exercise studio: from circuits to yoga to relaxation.
- State of the art gymnasium with Life Fitness Elevation series.
- Personal training, fitness assessments and MOT health indicator tests.
- Disabled changing rooms, toilets and treatment room.
- Spa lounge with feature central fireplace and dining area.
- 10 luxurious treatment rooms.
- Hush tranquillity room with veranda looking over gardens and fells.
- Dedicated manicure and make-up area.
Spa opening times:
Spa open from 7.00am – 9.00pm.
Children are welcome to use the swimming pool only in the spa from 8.30am – 10.30am and 4.30pm – 6.30pm Monday to Saturday, and 8.30am – 10.30am and 2.00pm – 6.30pm Sunday.
Magnificently set in the secluded splendour of 400 acres of deer park and woodland, bordered by the calming waters of Bassenthwaite Lake and framed by the dramatic Skiddaw Mountain and Lake District Fells, Armathwaite Hall Hotel and Spa is a unique, all year-round destination.
Whether you are searching for a relaxing, indulgent getaway, or an exhilarating, action-packed activities break – Armathwaite Hall offers such a wide-range of possibilities. From fell walking to archery, clay pigeon shooting to alpaca walking, kayaking and paddle boarding…even our very own Wildlife Park. For looking to be pampered, you can book yourself (or your loved one) into or award-winning Spa with a range of treatments, half day experiences and our new state-of-art gym and pool.
Whatever inspires you, we can create the perfect holiday to suit the pace of your trip to the Lake District and we cannot wait to welcome you to Armathwaite Hall Hotel and Spa.
From £220 per room per night
What the Experts Say
“A stunning 17th century country house overlooking Bassenthwaite Lake and surrounded by all the amenities an outdoorsman could hope for and has become an elegant luxury hotel, complete with a 16 metre infinity pool.”