- 200g Icing sugar
- 400g Unsalted butter, softened and diced
- 600g Plain flour
- 1 Small egg yolk
- 1 Small egg (whole)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/Fan 140°C/gas 3 and lightly grease a baking tray or line with baking paper.
- Mix together the sieved flour, diced butter and sugar in a bowl with your fingertips to form breadcrumbs.
- Add the eggs and mix with a spoon.
- Turn the mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead to form a soft dough.
- Between two sheets of baking paper, roll out to a thickness of 1cm, then prick the dough all over with a fork and cut into heart shapes using a cutter.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes, then bake for 20-25 minutes until pale gold in colour.
- Sprinkle with caster sugar and leave to cool for a few minutes to firm up, before transferring to a wire rack.
The biscuits will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight tin.
Recipe kindly supplied by Hambleton Hall.